Ever since I traveled to Italy and had a caprese salad in a restaurant in Florence, I have loved the fresh tomato, mozzarella, and basil combo. Below is a recipe for my version of the caprese salad. I hope you enjoy!
Serving size: 1 caprese salad
1 sliced vine ripe tomato
2-3 slices of mozzarella cheese
1 TBSP minced garlic (I used jarred garlic)
3 whole wheat toasted english muffin halves
Fresh basil leaves
1. Toast your english muffin halves and slice your tomato horizontally into about 5-6 slices.
2. Cut or tear the mozzarella slices into fourths
3. Layer the tomato slices, mozzarella, and toasted english muffin halves as shown in the pictures
4. Take a basting brush and dip it into the jar of minced garlic. Spread the minced garlic all over the tomato, mozzarella, and muffin halves. You may also garnish the sides of the plate with a little minced garlic if you would like. If you used fresh garlic, sprinkle it all over the tomato, mozzarella, and muffin halves.
5. Tear apart the fresh basil leaves into smaller pieces and sprinkle on top of the salad.
6. Put a few splatters of the olive oil on the plate next to the salad.
7. Pour desirable amount of balsamic vinegar on the salad and on the sides. ENJOY!